Everett's Memory Garden

Everett's Memory Garden in late summer.

 When Mom died my sister and I wanted to divide or dig up plants brother Bill might not want in Mom's garden beds. Mom had dug up plants from Grandma Woolum's garden and she got starts from other gardens. She also had plants gifted to her by family members. When I discussed with Everett where we should put these plants, he came up with the memory garden idea. He build the raised bed to match the others and Mom's Memory Garden is right out my window to remember Mom by. It has flourished and is one of my favorite gardens.
Mom's Memory Garden in late summer.

The first gift was a rose "Walking on Sunshine" from my P.E.O. sisters.

When Everett died it was late fall last year. I didn't even think about a memory garden for him. As gifts came in, many sent money or purchased a plant in his memory. That was when I began to plan his memory garden. During the winter I pondered where I would place it and what plants I would use. When spring arrived, I had a plan. I knew I would include roses, his favorite flower. 

My brother-in-law delivered the tub and filled it with garden soil.

I decided to use another galvanized container like the two that came from Mom's . I purchased a round tub. I knew I wanted mostly perennials, but also some annual flowers for pops of color all summer.  I also ordered a personalized stone to honor him.  I chose some plants, others were gifts. 

Everett was always fascinated with these solar light water cans. It was a perfect addition to the garden.

The garden flourished with very little care. The variety of flowers blooms up until frost and it provided a beautiful container of color in the corner of the yard.

When the annuals came out recently, I added two other plants. I planted tulips to bloom in the spring and lilies to add color in the summer. They are two of his favorites.  Now the garden is ready to for winter. I look forward to watching it flourish next year.





Comments