Putting the Gardens to Bed for Winter


 
Everett's Memory Garden is cleaned up and ready for winter.

Tonight I have a sore muscles and my hands are chapped. I came in covered with dirt and was cold. Then I discovered the power was off. No hot shower yet.  That didn't diminish my feeling of accomplishment. I finally got all my fall garden chores done and am ready to spread compost on all my beds and put them to bed for winter.

I filled the troughs with the already used potting soil from my hanging baskets. This trough is now planted with lilies and tulips for next spring and summer.

Perennials to winter over. 

I began to plan a new perennial garden in the back corner of the yard. I purchased plants when they were all fifty percent off. They are planted in the raised bed for the winter.

The chives will stay over the winter.



Lots of weeds were pulled !

It was a difficult growing year. I missed Everett's encouragement, jokes, and companionship. I learned how to do many chores by myself. I did have help with heavy lifting, mowing,and clean up. Then the hot weather came. I had to rearrange all my containers to keep them alive. Then came to smoke from the wildfires. It was frustrating when the smoke was so bad I couldn't go outside. 

Until the wind came up today it was such a pleasant day to work outside.


Riley was there to support me each and every day I worked on my fall chores. He reached his limit today. This is Riley giving me the ,"It's time to go for a run" look! Since the power was out we went for a run and I charged my phone and got warmed up in the car. Then I got a text from my brother informing me the power was back on. Whew! Hot shower and heating pad were waiting at home.


















Comments