Riley Learning to Wait

A few weeks ago a friend told me how much she enjoys seeing Riley in the window when she drives by. She asked me if I thought he was still looking for Everett. I had never thought about it. 



It was a confusing time for Riley last November. Everett wasn't home. I was gone frequently driving to the hospital in CdA and coming back and forth from the hospital in Kellogg. People reached out to help Riley.  He did a sleepover at Carol and Paul's. He enjoyed runs with Paul to go see Everett through the hospital window. He went and enjoyed quiet time and classical music with my brother Bill. He also spent many days at home waiting for us to come home.


Riley was a trooper. He was well-behaved and I never found destruction when I returned home. He was always so excited to see me. All of us that are pet owners often wish we knew what our animals were thinking. What was Riley thinking when Everett never came home? What did he think when I appeared sad when I came home?

I know this. He loved sleeping next to me on Everett's side of the bed. He wanted to lie at my feet when I arrived home. 


He gave me love and support during that month of November when I needed it most. He sat by me when I cheered on the Zags. When Everett left us on November 30th I could tell Riley missed him. We both miss him every day.






Comments