Heat Loving Perennials


 For those of you that are new here I am an obsessive flower gardener. I love to buy flowers,  plant flower seeds, arrange flowers into bouquets, and take photos of them. 

Here in northern Idaho it is unusually hot and the air has been dry. This makes it difficult to keep annual flower basket alive and blooming. It is also hard on seedlings that have just come up. After weeding yesterday I discovered I had some big gaps in my flower beds. How did I solve this problem?  I went to one of my favorite nurseries today. I knew the owner had plants on sale. The weather was a bit cooler (at least this morning) so I felt it was safe to plant them. 

Here are some heat loving perennials I purchased and ones I already have:


Rudbeckia: I have had these, but they didn't survive the winter. They are tall, bright, and love the sun.


Yarrow: At my last house my yarrow went crazy. I don't have any here. I couldn't resist the pink one today.


Phlox: I had never seen this shorter version of a phlox. I love the color combination so it was added to my purchases.

These are all heat loving perennials, but they do require lots of watering.

lily

Other perennial plants I already have that love the sunshine:

roses, sedum, lilies, hollyhocks, gaillardia, and russian sage

In the fall when you are making plans for your next year's garden, check out these plants. They add color, texture, and some of them smell very nice. Plus hopefully they come back year after year.

What perennials do you like in your garden?

gaillardia















Comments