What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up?


When I was in school I had teachers pose this question often. As I teacher myself I probably asked the same question to my students. I am almost grown up and my main profession for over thirty years was teaching. 
When I was a child I wanted to be a nurse. I had the book pictured above and Mom would read it me and I would study all the pictures before I could read. I don't know when I decided I didn't want to be a nurse. Maybe someone got sick and I gagged or I saw blood after a household accident and realized I couldn't stomach it. 
By the end of high school I wanted to be a high school teacher. After taking an education class that required working with kindergarten students, I changed my mind. I got a degree in Elementary Education.

Recently someone asked, "If you could have done any other profession, what would it have been?"


Because of my love for books I always wanted to work in a bookstore. Being surrounded by books and people that love books seemed like a dream job. I also dreamed of owning a bookstore. I pictured a cute little shop with a cafe that served coffee drinks, homemade cookies, and other delicious pastries. It would be full of new and used books, comfy chairs, plants, a resident dog or cat, and soft music playing in the background. Now I just visit favorite bookstores, sip coffee and eat a homemade cookie.

My love of books also led me to wanting to be a librarian. I spent many hours in the library growing up and I loved the quiet surroundings, the unlimited amount of books to read, and the kind librarians. I was able to fulfill this dream when I returned to my hometown after retirement. I worked part time in the same library where I enjoyed books in childhood. For personal reasons I had to give the job up, but I sure loved it.


I also wanted to work in a florist shop. I love to grow flowers and arrange them in bouquets.Being surrounded by flowers and bringing joy to customers with my arrangements was another dream job. Along this same vein, I would be in seventh heaven if  I could work in a plant nursery. It would be so fun to help gardeners pick plants and answer gardening questions. 

What I want to be when I grow up?
I want to own a bookstore with a cafe, a corner full of flowers to arrange for customers, a resident dog, a plant nursery out back, and a writing corner for me to get all my thoughts down each day while sipping a latte and eating a homemade cookie. I would beam as each customer would leave with a bag of books, a bouquet of flowers, some plants for their garden, and a pastry for later. Now that is amazing dream! 

If you could choose another profession, what would it be?

This is Alabama Booksmith bookstore in Homeword, Alabama.

Comments

  1. Christy's Book Nook and Cookie Shop. Perfect. It's never too late. I love your recent blogs. Thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that name. You could put fabric in another corner and we could call it Book Nook, Fun Fabric, and Cookie Shop.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!