It Is More Than Just a Pickup

 

The day we purchased it.

When I remember Everett, I have good memories of his pickups.In the time I knew him he had three different Chevy pickups. He loved having a pickup. He could haul stuff, we could go off the grid on mountain roads, he could load firewood, and he could pull a camp trailer when we headed to a campground.
It took us to many favorite camp spots.

In the last few years he didn't need the pickup as much. I remember him saying though that "every family needs a pickup".  We agreed to keep it and we parked it with another family member so it was there to use to go to the dump, haul stuff, and help out the rest of the family. 

He loved his co-pilots

About a month ago someone in the family asked me if I was interested in selling the pickup. At first I thought, "What a great idea." Then I did some serious thinking. It wasn't safe. It needed new brakes, I hadn't driven it much so I didn't know if there were other mechanical issues. I had trouble sleeping that night as I tried to sort out what to do. Some time in the middle of the night it hit me. 
A man and his pickup

It is more than just a pickup. That 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup represented Everett. Then it came to me. I couldn't sell the pickup. I wanted the pickup back at 514. I wanted to be comforted by his memories when I looked out the front window. When the discussion came up at family dinner I tried to explain as best as I could to the family that it was more than just a pickup. As I continued to grieve his death, I wanted something to bring me comfort in my driveway.
The pickup had to provide help to other family members before it could come back to 514. Close to the end of the week we were able to take it to Silver Valley Tire to get a service job and make it safer with new brakes. 

The work gloves I found in the pouch in the backseat.

I got the call this afternoon I was waiting for. Your pickup is ready.. I hadn't driven the pickup in a long time. I just sat in the driver's seat and cried. I drove it home and checked all the doors and other places that Everett used to love to stuff stuff.  I found two pairs of worn work gloves . a missing green winter glove, change, Tic Tacs. and toothpicks. I found a grocery list he had written. I held each of these items close to my heart.
No matter how worn out they were, he never threw out a pair of work gloves.

Then Riley joined me. He caught a scent of  Everett and jumped from the front seat to back seat, grabbed the gloves, and felt his presence. We drove up to our favorite running spot. It was a happy day.

Tonight I feel so much more at peace. It is more than just a pick up. It is Everett. We needed to feel his presence today and during the days ahead right in our own driveway.




Comments

  1. Oh, this was wonderful. It touched my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!