Celebrating National Poetry Month: #1 Lineage

In previewing a new literature series at school today I discovered this poem. I fortunately picked up a strong lineage from the grandmothers on both sides of my family. Above is Grandma West and my brother at our house on Portland in Kellogg. Below we are with Grandma Woolum in Spokane.

Lineage

BY MARGARET WALKER
My grandmothers were strong.
They followed plows and bent to toil.
They moved through fields sowing seed.
They touched earth and grain grew.
They were full of sturdiness and singing.
My grandmothers were strong.

My grandmothers are full of memories
Smelling of soap and onions and wet clay
With veins rolling roughly over quick hands
They have many clean words to say.
My grandmothers were strong.
Why am I not as they
Margaret Walker, “Lineage” from This is My Century: New and Collected Poems. Copyright © 1989 by Margaret Walker. Reprinted by permission of University of Georgia Press.

Comments

  1. Great Poem!! What a great visual image that comes to mind thinking about our grandmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!