From the Archives: Under the Snow




The first week I began my blog I wrote this post. As I was wandering around yesterday taking pictures in the snow, I had the same exact thoughts. It is like a treasure hunt when the snow starts to melt. Enjoy one of my first posts with new photo images.



Once the snow falls and stays during the winter months it is as if my garden memory goes under the snow. I planted, nurtured, and babied plants last growing season, but today I can't even remember what was planted in the back flower bed by the deck. We do have lots of plants, but still....! When frost hits and pine needles and leaves cover up the asters and mums it also freezes my brain. I can't recall if we remembered to move the hostas that were crowding out other plants in front of the house. We want to make some changes in our gardens when the snow melts, but the discussion around the table went nowhere tonight. I couldn't remember how tall the trumpet vine grew in one corner, or when the sun hit the vegetable garden. 
When the snow began to melt I relished the treasure hunt around the property.We located missing items that were hidden under the snow during the cold season. Saturday I found the old stick that held open the gate at the driveway. I also found an earring lost many months ago. It seems like somebody always finds change. The dogs grabbed toys that ended up in a plowed snow pile. And darn it all.... when I was trying to find a glimpse of day lilies under the snow all I found was dog droppings... a winter's worth of dog droppings. I think I will alert my husband it is his turn to do that treasure hunt while I reconstruct garden plots in my thawing brain!


Comments