November 13: Today I Am Thankful For Libraries


"Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark.... In any library in the world, I am at home, unselfconscious, still and absorbed. " ~Germaine Greer

From the time I was six years old and acquired my first library card at the Kellogg Public Library until today I have always been thankful for public libraries. I checked out three books a week every week during my childhood it seems. I don't know if that is exactly accurate, but I read many, many, many books. I have continued with my passion for reading and have also continued with my loyality to the public library. I love to browse the shelves, but now I love even more jumping on the website and requesting books from libaries all over the county. I know what books are available to read, I just don't know when I will get to read them.

Public libraries also provide magazines, newspapers, movies, books on tape, and free information any citizen can carry out the door. I feel like Germaine Greer.... I am at home in the public library.



Comments