The Tastes of Fall: Keepers from the Recipe Box


 Fall always reminds me of certain flavors, certain smells, and certain dishes I make every year.  I love homey desserts and crockpot soups when the days shorten and there is a chill in the air. 
Here are some of my favorite fall recipes:

Libby's Pumpkin Roll

I have been making this dessert for years. It took me a few tries to get the cake rolled up the right way, but finally I learned how to do it. I like the dessert also because it freezes well. https://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/recipes/libby-s-pumpkin-roll/


Caramel Apple Skillet Cake

I prepared this cake a year ago and it was a big hit. I am going to add it to my fall dessert recipes again this year.  https://houseofyumm.com/caramel-apple-skillet-cake/



Zucchini Oatmeal Cake

This cake works for breakfast, snacks or a dessert. Just eat it all day!

Zucchini Oatmeal Cake

Bake this in a 10 or 12-cup Bundt cake pan or in a 9x13x2-inch pan.
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter (6 ounces)
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon almond extract
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 3/4 cup sliced almonds
Preparation:
Grease and flour a 10- to 12-cup bundt cake pan. Heat oven to 325°.
In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; set aside. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in the vanilla. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir in shredded zucchini and nuts. Spoon into the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate to cool completely. Glaze or dust with powdered sugar or make a cream cheese glaze.

When the weather cools I love making soups. I also love making soups in the crock pots because the house if filled with the savory smells all day and when the day is over, dinner is ready. Here are two of my favorite crock pot soup recipes. 


Best Crockpot Minestrone
This is a favorite because you can improvise and toss in leftover vegetables or other ingredients.


Crockpot Beef Barley Soup
This is a delicious soup to enjoy after a day out in the chilly weather. 

I hope you have a chance to try one of these recipes on a chilly day in front of the fire or around the table with family and friends. 





Comments