Where I'm From

 


In 1993 George Ella Lyon created a poem that captured memories of growing up, home, and family called "Where I'm From".  She said in an interview it is " to the voices in all of us that long to be heard." Her poem as been copy changed for many occasions and used as a way to remember home. 

At my husband Everett's Celebration of Life recently I wanted to write his "Where I'm From" poem to capture memories of his childhood, his early adult life, and his life as a father. My brother-in-law Paul read it for me at the service. Enjoy:

Where I’m From 

In Memory of my husband Everett

By Christy Woolum


I am from an old cabin

from warm stew by the wood stove.

I am from a sled that carried me down to town

In the cold, icy winter.

I am from the Chewuch River,

Hunting to provide for my mother,

And pack mules, rodeos, and songs around the campfire.


I am from apple warehouses and orchards,

From Red Delicious, McIntosh, and Winesap.

I’m from cutting down trees and running a bulldozer.

I’m from The Lord is My Shepherd, 

Singing gospel songs

And reciting Bible verses from my heart.


From Oroville to Round Lake,

Dried deer meat and Hamburger Helper.

From fingers stained with huckleberry juice

And a station wagon full of kids.

I am from “ Do I need to cut a switch?”

And “Shhh… I am watching the news.”


I am from riding horses, hunting with my family,

Cowboy boots and a tall, white cowboy hat.

I am from Scotland where I yearn to visit,

The World’s Fair, camping trips, and swimming in the lake.


The drawer in the blue dresser is

Piled with all the cards and notes from the family I love.

A collection of words I go back and read.

Underneath is a pile of black and white photos.

I remember my childrens’ faces when I pray,

Before I go to sleep at night.




Comments