There's a Poem in This Place.

I don't need a special month the focus on poetry because I enjoy it every month of the year. What is nice about designating April as National Poetry Month is it brings an awareness to poetry for readers that may not always choose poetry.

My love for poetry started when I was very young. Mom read us selections of poetry many nights at bedtime from a book I still own. There are many titles in this collection that I taught to students and still read today. I also had teachers that made poetry a part of our classroom instruction. I especially remember Mrs. Tregoning highlighting a poem each month. She would read it, we would copy it in our best penmanship, then illustrate it. These would hang on the wall in the classroom. We would also memorize each poem and recite it in front of the class. In October she had us create Halloween poems. Mine was called "The Haunted House" and  I got to join other classmates and read mine over the intercom on Halloween day.

Poems capture strong images with fewer words. They can also help us honor an historic event with rhythm and rhyme."Listen my children and you shall hear of the midnight ride of Paul Revere." I read and listened to " The Star Spangled Banner" as a poem before I ever learned to sing it.  I loved jump rope rhymes when we played jump rope on the playground. When I was that age I don't know if I thought of them as poems. Poetry was definitely an avenue to my love for words. 



The poem below is one Mom loved. She read it to us many times. Sitting here in the room that was my childhood bedroom I can hear Mom's voice reciting this poem like it was yesterday.

 
I look forward to revisiting childhood poems, sharing some of my favorite poems, and discovering new ones this month. 

The 2022 poster was designed by eleventh grader Lara L. from Saunders Trades and Technical High School in Yonkers, New York, who was the winner of the 2022 National Poetry Month Poster Contest, and features a line by 2021 Presidential Inaugural Poet and 2017 National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman.









Comments