Summer In A Jar: A Post from the Archives


I posted this the first time 9/17/2011. Everett and I loved to preserve our food when we lived at Martin Creek. We didn't do as much canning once we moved to Kellogg.  Like my grandmothers, my aunts, my mother and my sister canning was and is a way of life. I always feel such a sense of accomplishment when I have a counter covered with canned food. Here is my post from 2011:



Summer In a Jar

I remember glass Mason jars, a canner, and the smell of dill at Grandma Woolum's house. Jars full of pickles, relish, and green beans were wrapped carefully in old newspapers and packed in boxes for us to take home. Our family got to enjoy  those canned goods on special occasions. I don't remember learning to can. In my first house I had lots of grapes and bought a book and figured it out. I love to fill shelves with glass jars full of the summer's harvest. I enjoy giving jars of jam or pickles as gifts. On a cold, snowy day in January I love biting into a dill pickle preserved in September.

Today I made my Summer's End Pickle Mix. I just take whatever is ripe and mix it together. This mix today was zucchini, crookneck, green beans, cucumbers, and dill. I bought the peppers, garlic, and onion.




Comments