Road Trip to Independent Bookstores


 I love rainy days. Today was a day to reorganize bookshelves, decide if I need to part with any titles ( so hard for me to do), and reminisce about visiting an actual brick and mortar independent bookstore. I love bookstores and during the pandemic I just haven't visited independent bookstores in the Pacific Northwesr. My favorite bookstores are ones that offer both new and used books, or a bookstore that is just used books. My dream road trip would be to visit bookstores and plant nurseries all over the northwest. Today I am going to focus on favorite bookstores:


Powell's City of Books , Portland, Oregon.
This is the best of the best. New books, used books, coffee shop, genres organized by color rooms, and a million books. I could spend three days there without seeing all the books. I have missed traveling there.


Aunties Bookstore, Spokane, Washington
. I first loved this bookstore when it was called The Book and Game Company at the Flour Mill. Just when I relocated to northeastern Washington a bigger store opened in downtown Spokane. I love it for the mix of new and used, the staff picks display, the helpful staff, the authors that visit, the book clubs they promote, and the environment of the store.

Elliot Bay Bookstore, Seattle, Washington I haven't been here in years, but when I was there I loved it. I am pleased to see it is still open and I better add it to my list for the tour.

BookPeople, Moscow Idaho. This bookstore opened the year I was a freshman in college at University of Idaho and it is a place I visit most times when I return to Moscow. Excellent selection of books, knowledgeable staff, and great events.


Brused Books, Pullman, Washington
I could spend a whole day here. 90,000 used books and they still use a card file for patron requests. I remember once spending two hours just in the cookbook section. I am always surprised at books I find here.


2nd Look Books, Spokane, Washington
This bookstore has been located on the South Hill for thirty-five years. You can get great coffee at Forza Coffee next store and browse two levels, enjoy the reading room in the lower level and find great selections of books.


Well-Read Moose, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  This is a close bookstore for me. I love it because it has a great selection of books, fun gifts, coffee, and goodies. What more do you need?

This is just a sampling of bookstores I love. Thrift stores are also an excellent place to find used books. What is your favorite independent bookstore?




Comments