If Only Riley Could Talk

 


My dog Riley has not been himself lately when we go to get exercise up at the high school. Usually going to the high school is one of Riley's favorite things to do. He leaps out of the car and runs and runs then walks with me and runs and runs some more.

The first time he wasn't himself  was last week. He ran across the field chasing ravens then came back to me, sat and wouldn't move. I tried to get him to walk with me. He was panting, shaking, and wouldn't budge. He wanted to get back in the car. He didn't get hurt, but something made him act different.

Next time we went to the high school it happened again. He ran up the hill then came back and had the same behaviors. I moved to car closer to the bridge thinking he would get out and walk with me. I couldn't get him out of the car. He was again trembling and panting.

Yesterday I took him to a different place. He was the Riley I know and love. He ran, rolled on a dead animal, found a deer bone and carried it around, He ran until he got tired.

I wish Riley could talk. What happened to him at the high school parking lot? Did he smell something that scared him? I just don't know. I am going to try it again tomorrow to see what happens.

Again, he didn't have an injury and when he is home he is the window watcher, early bed goer, bone lover, and snuggle boy like always. If only Riley could talk, he could tell me what was going on at the high school. Any ideas dog owners?


Comments

  1. Dogs (and other animals) are our "early warning systems". Riley is alerting you to possible danger: hornets, cougars, wolf, moose, Halloween candy wrapper...you know what I mean; it could be significant...or not. Just honor his service to you, maybe exercise him somewhere different, and, above all, stay happy and vigilant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy Money4.9.21

    I agree with Nora - and you. He is alerting you to something and I wish he could tell us what it is. He is such a good boy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!