Women Who Inspire Me: Erin Benzakein

 


This is my third installment of my series Women Who Inspire Me. In 2017 I was in a gardening section of a bookstore and her book "Cut Flower Garden" jumped out at me. Imagine that! Erin Benzakein is the founder of Floret Flower Farm and is one of the nation's leading "farmer florists". I was also excited to see that her farm was in the Skagit Valley of Washington State. 


Her path to becoming a nationally recognized flower farmer didn't come easy. She started out growing flowers in her garden and made bouquets with her extra flowers and gave them to neighbors and friends. She always heard heartfelt stories about how gardening and flowers held special memories for these people. It struck a chord with her.


A farm florist is a farmer that grows flowers and fillers that are in season and creates bouquets using the bounty from the garden all four seasons. Her newest book "A Year in Flowers" guides readers how to do just that. I am reading it now and already making plans for my garden plots for next year.

When I started seeing ads for the new Discovery+ streaming service I saw her advertising a launch for Magnolia Network.  I got a free subscription through Verizon. As soon as I checked out the new Magnolia Network, there was Erin. I just watched season one of "Growing Floret". It is a series that starts at the beginning of what she wanted to do when she grew up to how she has made a huge business that includes workshops, a blog, an Instagram account, three books, and a seed company. She has thousands and thousands of fellow gardeners that follow her on social media.

She inspires me because she never gave up. She kept researching, learning, leaning on others for help, and persisted. I want to be Erin when I grow up. Even if you are not a flower farmer or don't like to garden, her story is worth watching and reading about.

I am just sad about one thing. Her gardens are not open to the public for tours. Since it is her own home she doesn't feel comfortable having people walking around the property, plus her team of employees are always busy. 

You can find out more about Erin on social media:

Her website: https://www.floretflowers.com/

Her blog:https://www.floretflowers.com/blog/

Her Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/floretflower/

Her series on Magnolia Network, Discovery+ Growing Floret has four episodes.

This is her third book:

During the winter months when you are dreaming of spring and gardening, visit these sites or check out her books. She could convince anybody to raise flowers!  Now I am ready to purchase her seeds for next year. 




Comments