The Food Combinations That Still Satisfy


 In every household families have always had unique combinations of food that are always eaten together. Those food combos often carry on into the next generation. Some of our food combinations were passed down from the generation before. Many were discovered by the menus for hot lunch at school.  I can explain some combinations, but others have just been eaten together for over fifty years.

The standard for many lunch tables is tomato soup with a toasted cheese sandwich. Why? I think it is because they taste good together. In doing a bit of  research I learned it was started after WWII with hot lunch programs at schools.


When I make a BLT, I love a little pile of potato chips on the side. 

When I eat chicken noodle soup, it is always with crackers.


Another combination that originated with the hot lunch program was chili with cinnamon rolls. The savory and sweet combination can't be beat. I always love making this in the fall when the weather cools. Sunnyside School chili and cinnamon rolls were a very popular lunch when I was in grade school. We could smell the rolls baking all the way in the stairs in our classrooms.

When I was a child if we had pork chops, we had applesauce on the side. I still serve pork chops with some type of apple dish. Pork roast always tastes better with applesauce also.

Yes, when we had weiners we often had hot dogs. The more popular combination was weiners and sauerkraut. My husband wasn't crazy about the vinegar in sauerkraut so steamed cabbage worked well also.


One of my all time favorite comfort foods is meatloaf. The best combination with meatloaf is a baked potato and green beans. Now that is a complete, delicious meal.


Whether at Grandma Woolum's or our house at 516 when fried chicken was served there was always mashed potatoes and gravy and a vegetable, usually corn or green beans. Sometimes if there was extra gravy Dad took a slice of bread and poured the extra gravy over it and ate it, He called it Missouri Pudding.

Oh and chocolate makes everything better!

What are your favorite food combinations?






Comments