Are You Still Wasting Money On......?

 


Yes I am!

It seems like every time I scroll through social media  or read headlines on news feeds there are always articles about how to save money. "Ten Things You Can Give Up To Get Rich". " Are You Wasting Your Money On...."

I am not rich. I do have money though for miscellaneous items every month.

 Yes, I am still wasting money on fancy coffee drinks. I know I can make coffee at home and take it with me in the car, but it doesn't taste as good. I know I could just drink water, but I don't want to. If I am driving out of town I want a latte with a favorite syrup hot. Hey... I do save money sometimes and get the daily special. Life is too short to drink lukewarm coffee from home in the car. Besides, I thought we were supposed to support local businesses.


Here is one of my favorites. Are you really going to buy gas in Kellogg when you can save money by  going thirty-five miles, taking the Fourth Street exit, and using cash at that Exxon station ?  Trying not to roll my eyes I reply,"Yes, I am."


My mom always tried to save a dime. We called her Bargain Betty. She read the ads, she cut coupons, she would drive six miles to Pinehurst if eggs were ten cents cheaper. Here is how it went with us. "Hi Mom, I am going to the store. Do you need anything? I am picking up a whole chicken for Family Dinner." "Be sure you get the chicken at IGA and use the double coupon and if you go to the clearance bin it might be cheaper. Oh wait, let me get the ads," Mom replied. Rustling of papers, more rustling of papers as she scanned the ads. " If you have enough time the best buy is at Super I in CdA, but only if you get there today. " Maybe bologna sandwiches would be better for Sunday Dinner.

Yes, I am still wasting money on books. I do use the library, but sometimes I want the book for more than three weeks. Sometimes I want to mark up the book. Sometimes I just like to see the book on the shelf! I know, I know I am not going to get rich.

One classic tip for saving money is to use leftovers. I do use leftovers, or at I least try to. After eating crock pot chicken surprise for five days straight and noticing it is looking a bit fuzzy and green, that is when I have to " splurge" and open a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese for dinner. I think I did save a dollar that week.


While standing in line at the plant nursery there is always that wise gardener behind me that leans over, examines my cart, frowns, then says, Are you really buying all those plants for yourself?" I smile and calmly answer," No.... I am heading to Farmer's Market to sell them for twice the price." wink

One tip said to eliminate unplanned shopping sprees. When is a shopping spree ever unplanned? If you are in the car, you have a purse, you see a store calling to you to stop and shop, that to me is planned.It is necessary. I know, I am still not getting rich.

The last tip I had a hard time understanding. It said, "Separate your needs from your wants." By the time I figure out if I really want it or really need it, all the purses on the clearance table are gone. Not sound advice for me.


I am sure many of you have good tips on how I can get rich. Just don't make them hard. I am going to go get a coffee drink, put gas in my car in Kellogg, head to a bookstore to buy a book, and buy a whole chicken without a coupon. I know, I am living in the fast lane. 

A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money.
– John Ruskin

Comments

  1. Love this post, Christy! And I’m right there with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!