Tastes Like Summer


 "In defining the “taste of summer,” we use words such as “light,” “refreshing,” “beachy” and “fruity.” The flavor of the season is found in the freshness of patio dining cooled by gentle breezes and warmed by good company. And when you put it all together, the taste of summer is: delicious!"  Wendy Lemlin

This morning I pulled out raspberry jam to spread on my bagel. As soon as I took a bite of the bright red, seedy jam my mind traveled back to Grandma West's house in Orofino. She servedbus fresh raspberries and cream for breakfast in the summer. Now that was a taste of summer. As I savored the sweet jam today I began thinking of other tastes of summer. 

What came to mind first? Hot, fresh corn on the cob with butter melting all over it. What is better?

Maybe the first taste of cold, ripe watermelon after a long winter without it. Nothing like sweet pink juice running down your face on a hot summer afternoon.


When I think summer I also taste popsicles. I always hoped when I reached in the double pop bag there would be root beer or banana left for me to enjoy. When it was hot I would take any flavor, but those two are tastes of summer for me. 

I think I had my first s'more when I was at camp or maybe Rose Lake over the Fourth of July. Who would have thought graham crackers, squares of Hershey bars, and toasted marshmellows would make such a delectable summer dessert? The gooey concoction never tasted as good other times of the year. S'mores tasted like summer.



When we had lemonade at our house in the summer it wasn't Wyler's or the frozen stuff in a can. Mom squeezed the fresh lemons, added the sugar and cold water and served it over ice. Sometimes she added an orange. I don't think we had it often, but when we did it tasted like summer. As far as beverages go Shasta pop, Fizzies, Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch, and  A &W rootbeer tasted like summer also.

As an adult the tastes of summer include fresh tomatoes, cucumbers off the vine, huckleberries, fresh mint, and a refeshing gin and tonic. I am still waiting to bite into the first tomato off my vine this year.

What tastes like summer to you?


Comments