Summertime Living

 "Rejoice as summer should... chase away sorrows by living." – Melissa Marr

Summer has not always been my favorite season. Some years we were plagued by wildfire smoke making it impossible to go outside. Other years during hot spells we were put on water restrictions and had to try to keep our gardens alive. Some summers there were events that happened that I wanted to forget. Depression would creep up and it was easier to curl up in a cool,dark room and forget the world around me.

This year I am embracing summertime and doing simple things to make the summer memorable. I am fortunate to be retired so time is my friend. I am rejoicing by living. Here is my summertime living list:

Making a root beer float. There isn't an A&W close to me, but one day I saw that root beer at the store and tried to remember the last time I had even drank a float. It was summer in a glass. Cold, sweet, refreshing. 

Picking a bouquet of flowers. I am fortunate to have flowers in my own garden to pick. When I didn't have a garden I would go out in the woods and pick wildflowers, go to a flower stand, or stop at Farmer's Market for fresh flowers. The scent of a bouquet brings summer right into the house.

Enjoying an afternoon naps. When the temperatures hit over a hundred degrees for days on end, I would come inside, darken the bedroom and enjoy a blissful afternoon nap. This gave me the energy to garden later into the evening when the weather cooled a bit.

Discovering outdoor lights. Knowing I would be spending more time outside as the sun went down each day, I decided I wanted to fill the backyard with lights. I love that time when dusk turns to dark and slowly the lights begin to brighten the yard. Some even change colors!

Finding Riley spots. I am always on the hunt for new places to take Riley for his daily run. We have driven up dirt roads, tried to get closer to water, and found cool spots when the temperature was hot. Riley doesn't care if he is in the high school parking lot or in a meadow up past Wardner. He gets to go in the car, jump out and run, run, run. 

Loving Family Dinners.  Our family dinners are still an important part of our week. Recently we have prepared all cold food, sat inside to stay cool, but are still enjoying catching up, sharing stories, and hearing about family plans.

Catching up on reading. Because of other events in my life, reading books has taken a back burner in the last year. Of course I have still read books, but not as many as I am used to reading. It is nice to be back to reading. I have some catching up to do.

Capturing images. The best way for me to remember the simple things I am enjoying this summer is to photograph the moments, the flowers, the sunsets,  Riley, delicious food, and family and friends. 














Comments