Childhood Favorite Foods Revisited


 The other day a friend of mine asked how people felt about  Franco American Spaghetti Os. The reviews were mixed. It reminded me of last spring when foods were jumping off the shelves into shoppers' carts during the pandemic. People were purchasing foods they hadn't eaten since they were ten years old. Was it nostalgia?Was it the fear of having all the food disappear from the shelves? I have to admit when I stocked up last year I did purchase a few items I usually wouldn't buy.

Spaghetti Os: Yes, I did buy one can. They were okay. I didn't love them as much as I did when I was ten years old, but if it was all that was left in the grocery store, I could eat them.

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese: Yes, I bought it, Yes, I loved it, Yes, I wanted more. Why? I have no idea!!

Ice Cream Sandwiches: I just don't buy novelty ice cream treats often, but when we had money and went to Don's Market as kids I loved to buy an ice cream sandwich. Were they still good? Yes. Would I buy them again? Yes.

Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup: This has always been a comfort food for me. It is a requirement to serve the soup with buttered saltines on the side. Would I eat this again? I always have it on the shelf. Too much sodium? Yes! It is all about balance.

Swanson's Meat Pie: These are not the same as they were when I was a kid. Maybe because then they seemed like this huge, warm, delicious dinner. Now they are different. They are salty. The crust isn't as good.  I only bought one and that was enough. 

Nalley's Original Chili: My husband had lost his appetite during the pandemic. This is one thing he just loved. Go figure. I think it reminded him of camping. We always had some stocked in the RV when we went camping.

Banana Bread: I following the Instagram/ Pinterest trend of making banana bread. The silver lining was that I discovered new recipes I hadn't tried. Now none of these recipes were as good as my Grandma Woolum's, but they were a close second. Now I haven't tasted one piece in about six months.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread made into toast: I hadn't had a loaf of this in the house for a long time. Again, something my husband liked.  It made the house smell wonderful and it was good!

Did you return to any childhood favorites during the pandemic?





Comments