Gardening Tips: The Spring List, Part 1


I bought my first garden plants for the year today. I already went over my budget and there are still more plants I really want and need!  That is a dilemma all gardeners face each year. Here are some of  my tried and true gardening tips as I begin another season of gardening:

-If a plant doesn't spread like you planned, dies right after you plant it, or is dug up by a critter, there is a solution. Put a pot next to it or in its place. A colorful pot filled with simple flowers can cover up a lot of mistakes.

-Don't get overwhelmed with weeding. It is that part of gardening we dread, but break up it.Put on your favorite playlist or book, put in your earbuds and go for it.  Do a small amount every day and before you know it, your weeds or pulled. Repeat!

-To save money and fill in empty spaces in garden beds and pots, plant nasturium seeds. They are cheap, they grow quickly, they trail or spread and they are pretty.


-If you have a place with lots of sun and room for the plants to thrive, plant sunflowers from seeds. They are easy to grow, inexpensive, and so pretty. There are so many varieties to choose from. One year I did plant those Mammoth Sunflowers that are used for the seeds.  They grow 9-12 feet tall. If you have room, they are great for the seeds, but mine tipped over from the weight of the seeds. I don't recommend them.

- Mint is a wonderful herb to grow and can be used in so many ways.... but.... mint spreads quickly and is very invasive. Plant your mint in a pot and you will be much happier.

- Always plant marigolds around tomato plants.Why? The marigolds protect the tomato plants from harmful root-knot nematodes in the soil. ( I learned this tip from my mother)

- Cover your face while gardening. Either wear sunscreen or a hat to shade your face. I also try to wear garden gloves, but they end up being pulled off depending on the task.

Enjoy shopping for the pretty flowers, getting your hands dirty, and getting those seeds in the
ground.

Comments