We Are The Silver Lining



 “We are the silver lining in any and every dark cloud we could ever find. There is no need to go looking for the light when you bring it with you.” - Tyler Knott Gregson

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been sheltering at home for a month. I leave the house for essential tasks and to take my dog Riley for runs. During this time it would be natural to focus on the dark clouds surrounding us. Instead I am focusing on the silver linings in those dark clouds. Over and over I have observed people bringing the light with them.

The light came when part of my sister's family showed up the day before Easter in my front yard and read an Easter scripture, sang Easter songs, and brought us cookies. It was hard to stay inside for Easter and be away from family. They provided a silver lining.

The light also came when my sister-in-law decided to take down the curtains in her kitchen and sew masks for family members. My brother provided assistance by doing the ironing. When we had to visit a doctor out of town the mask provided a silver lining.

Light came to our porch in the form of comfort food, homemade dinners, and a poetry book from Silver King School (where my mother taught and I attended first grade). Light came in the mail with encouraging cards from friends. Light came in texts and emails as friends and family checked up on us and providing support.

Silver linings are all over The Silver Valley. One business sets out food for families in need, a restaurant owner makes lunches to deliver to students at home, people are showing support for restaurants by picking up food to go, and customers have brought bouquets to put at the checkout stands to honor the workers at a local grocery store.

There are teddy bears in windows for children to hunt for, teachers driving by students' houses to wave hello and show how they miss them, and a special Friday night parade through town honoring our high school seniors. I love where I live.

It is the worst of times, but I am going to continue to look for the light. 














Comments