The Shed Notebook: Hey Marie Kondo: Bookshelves Full of Books Can Spark Joy!


 When I read Marie Kondo's book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up right after it came out, I did what any thoughtful reader does. I took the information that mattered to me and used it. Kondo's method emerged in popularity again recently when her series began its run on Netflix. Her philosphy is this: if something sparks joy in your life, consider keeping it. If not, get rid of it. I haven't watched the series yet, but I have seen lots of photos on social media of people motivated to organize shelves, closets, and junk drawers.
One area of decluttering that hit a nerve with book collectors was her section on discarding books. Many book lovers went into panic mode online about paring down their book collections to thirty books. "I love my books. How can I get rid of them?"  "A library of books brings me comfort". "Why thirty books?"
part of my writing resource collection

I reread her section on getting rid of books. She said she would only keep thirty books. Besides, if Marie Kondo suggests you get rid of books, it is a suggestion. Keep those books you book collectors, The Spark Joy police is not coming to your house any time soon. I have more than forty cookbooks alone and I have pared down that collection. The ones I kept spark joy, If The Boxcar Children brings you joy by remembering your first grade teacher reading it to you, keep it! The photo at the top of the post are all books I saved from my mother's home library. Each of them brought her joy. Will I reread them?  Maybe not, but I love having them close.

part of my poetry collection
Now I didn't take all my books and put them in a pile like she suggested. Mine are spread all over the house and in the She Shed.  I did revisit my book shelves and found books that no longer sparked joy.  I had books I had read, but didn't need to keep. Also there were books that were outdated, worn out, or damaged, Did I throw all of them away? No. Did I tear out the pages that had parts I liked? No. I gave them away or donated them.
part of my cookbook collection
I am not a minimalist. I like books to surround me. I have books I use for reference, cookbooks I read and use all the time, a collection of poetry books I reread often, and books that have sentimental value. I also have the pile of books I plan to read soon or someday. Today I did revisit the shelves knowing I am going to the thrift store tomorrow. I found some titles that weren't sparking that Marie Kondo joy anymore. Another reader can enjoy them.

Her philosophy makes sense, but each person is unique in how they declutter. What sparks joy with one person may not with another. I do recommend her book and hope to watch the series, but I am still keeping my books. Every single one of them.

Do you have books you want to donate? This list has some good ideas. https://www.moneycrashers.com/where-donate-used-books/


Comments