Sibling Assignment #201: 717 E. Bridgeport

I gave this writing assignment. “Grandma Woolum's birthday is in early November. Write about good memories with our grandmother.” Brother Bill's is here and sister Carol's is here.

Grandma Woolum lived at 717 E. Bridgeport in Spokane, WA frome before I was born until she died. That house held memories of a fire in the fireplace in summer, the cellar in the basement that smelled like dill, the snowball bush out front that bloomed every spring, the aroma of fried chicken in the kitchen, and the sweet smell of Jergen's hand lotion. Grandma had an apartment upstairs that was rented out often when we were young. I think the picture above it Bill and I upstairs at her renter's apartment. (I learned this picture was not taken upstairs, but I love the picture so I am keeping it in.)When the apartment wasn't rented, we loved to go upstairs and play house or just hang out.

Grandma Woolum was a strong woman that raised her childen almost by herself. She loved to garden, to can, to bake and prepare meals, and shop at The Crescent. She didn't drive, but learned the bus system in Spokane and was able to go to Fairchild, downtown, or Northtown easily.

 Even though Grandma only lived in Spokane, it seemed like a journey for our family.  I loved to review old pictures and remember fun times there. Above I guess I was trying to hide from brother Bill behind the furnace in the dining room.

 One year we celebrated Bill's birthday after Christmas as Grandma's house. I loved the drapes behind us and never knew anyone else that had venetian blinds.
 This is one of my favorite pictures of Grandma Woolum. It shows her row of beautiful roses by the shed and it also shows my sister Carol with Grandma. Grandma loved her children, grandchildren, and other family members so much. She loved it when we came to visit.

This is another favorite picture of mine. Grandma's kitchen was my favorite room in her house. She had African violets blooming on the counter, she had a trash burner that warmed up the kitchen on cold mornings, and she had an old wringer washing machine by the back door. I was too young to remember this picture of myself and my parents, but I love how Dad is helping with the dishes. I don't remember him doing that too often when I was older.

I still drive by 717 E. Bridgeport often when I am in Spokane. The neighborhood looks a bit worn out now. The house has changed in some ways, but it isfull of memories for me. I would love to knock on the door and go inside and visit.


Comments

  1. Tracy Money17.11.18

    So fabulous! The sights and smells associated with your grandma make it possible to call up memories at a moment’s notice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!