Sibling Assignment #200: Apple Bundt Cake Recipe Revised


Carol gave sibling assignment #200. "Since we all enjoy spending time in the kitchen, it is time share some of our creativity.  Share your own variation of an already published recipe that is a good fall offering. Share the recipe, share why you made the changes you did, and your critique of the dish you created.  Share photos as well." Sister Carol's is here and brother Bill's is here.

When my neighbor Jane gave us a bag of apples I quickly searched for an apple cake recipe to use the apples and to serve for Sunday dinner. I love the blog Sally's Baking Addiction so I was pleased when I found the recipe below there. There were a few changes I made in the recipe. The first change I made was replacing stevia with the white sugar. I couldn't find my vanilla so I used almond extract. All I had was vanilla yogurt, and it worked great. I also added some bourban to the recipe.

I didn't make the glaze. That was the hardest part because the glaze sounded so yummy. I did heavy whipped cream with stevia and bourban added. Even though it was a cake, I think I made it a bit more healthy. I added my changes below in yellow. If you are looking for delicious baking recipes, check out the link above.
(p.s. I found my vanilla later in the refrigerator... go figure.)

Glazed Apple Bundt Cake

Tender and moist homemade apple bundt cake smothered in a buttery brown sugar glaze. Your new favorite cake for the crisp fall weather.

Ingredients:

APPLE BUNDT CAKE

  • 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (300ml) canola or vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1/2 cup (120g) plain yogurt or sour cream, at room temperature (I used vanilla yogurt)
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar ( I used stevia)
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract (yes, 1 full Tablespoon) ( I used almond extract)
  • 3 medium apples, peeled and chopped into small chunks (about 3 cups) (I left peelings on the apples)
  • I added three tablespoons bourbon because I didn't have rum.
  • I added a cup of  chopped pecans

I didn't make the glaze but whipped heavy cream and added stevia and bourbon to taste

I didnBROWN SUGAR GLAZE

  • 1 cup (190g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup (62g) confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spray a 10-12 cup bundt pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together until combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, yogurt, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla together until combined and creamy. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly whisk until no large lumps remain. Try to avoid overmixing. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in the apple chunks. If you feel 3 large apples is too much, feel free to cut down to 2 apples. I like a lot of apple chunks in my cake.
  3. Spoon/pour the thick batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 55-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. The baking times may vary depending on your oven, if you used a 10 cup bundt pan or 12 cup, or if you used less apple chunks. Keep your eye on the cake after 55 minutes. Feel free to cover the cake loosely with aluminum foil about halfway through to prevent heavy browning on top.
  4. Allow the cake to cool in the pan set on a wire rack, then invert onto a serving plate once cooled and ready to serve. As it cools, however, you may prepare the brown sugar glaze. Combine the brown sugar, butter, and heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring the mixture often. Allow to boil for 1 minute (without stirring), then turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in the confectioners' sugar. Allow glaze to cool and slightly thicken for at least 5 minutes. Spoon glaze over the cake right before serving. If your glaze thickens up too much before serving the cake, warm in the microwave for 15 seconds and stir until smooth.
  5. I like this cake warm, at room temperature, and even cold. Cover leftovers and store at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Flavor is outstanding on day 2!
Make ahead tip: Cake freezes well up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.

Comments