Sibling Assignment #194: Crossroads That Led to the Classroom




Sister Carol gave Sibling Assignment #194. While attending Cosette’s graduation recently, it got me thinking about when I graduated from college, what I did and didn’t remember from that day, and where I was at regarding my future.  Think back to when you graduated and received your bachelor’s degree.  What happened next in your life, and how do you remember feeling at this crossroads of your life? You will find her post here and brother Bill'shere

When you major in education in college you are on a strict timetable before and after graduation. When I graduated from college most teaching jobs were posted in spring/early summer and teachers were hired for the next school year by early July. Back in the day, we got a newsletter that listed all the teaching jobs that were open.

I knew I wanted a teaching job. I had student taught in Coeur d’Alene and hoped to continue teaching there. I did get an interview, but back then hundreds of new teachers applied for jobs there. I wasn’t  selected. I focused my search on the Inland Empire mostly because I thought it would make it easier to relocate.

I was most interested in fourth or fifth grade, but would have considered other grade levels. I had my bright yellow interview dress and often was driven to interviews in the early part of the summer because I didn’t have a car. Sometimes my parents let me use their car.  I interviewed in Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, Garfield WA, and Kellogg. I decided to take the job in Kellogg because it was fourth grade. The pay was better than the districts up north. It was at Pinehurst Elementary which meant I would know lots of the staff.

For me it was a fun crossroads in life summer. It was easy to find an apartment, I got my first car, and I got lots of help and support from my mom and other teachers in the district. I didn’t have much money in September so I ate dinner at my parents every night. I enjoyed that because I could troubleshoot teaching strategies with Mom. Dad’s favorite saying during that time was, “Are you two going to teach school all evening?” Yes, we pretty much did that.

It was a smart decision for me and it got my teaching career off to a strong start. I had quality people I taught with, supportive parents, students I have never forgotten, and a fun social life also. I stayed at PInehurst the first three years of my career and only left because a marriage to my first husband required relocation.


Comments