The Shed Notebook: Ten Lessons Learned While Recuperating From Knee Surgery


Forty days ago I had knee replacement surgery. My knee was worn out from arthritis and bone spurs around the knee made walking difficult. I did everything my surgeon and physical therapist told me to do, because that is what I thought I should do. I've been told that my recovery has been better than most. I didn't have a lot of swelling, I was able to walk without a walker quickly, and physical therapy was bearable.  This is what I learned:
1. "It is not a sprint, it is a marathon". My wise physical therapist reminded me of this early on. Recovery needs to move slowly.
2. Ice is the magic bullet in recovery. My Polar Ice Therapy Machine has been my best friend.
3. Life goes on if the flowers aren't deadheaded in a timely manner.
4. Sleep heals no matter what time of day or night you get it.
5. Painted toes make the healing happen faster. Go figure!
6. A sweet husband can do laundry.... he can even fold it and put it away!
7. Stay away from knee surgery images on Google.
8. It is important to do daily exercises even if Candy Crush, Words With Friends and Tetris are calling.
9. It is important to keep the DVR full of  shows. I could actually watch and exercise at the same time.
10. The best medicine for recovery has been ice cream. Each time I try a new flavor I feel even better. I don't know if there is medical research to support this, but it is working for me. Best healing flavor? Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter! I am sure there are other ailments a variety of ice cream flavors will heal.
The cards, messages, gifts, food, coffee drinks, encouragement, and kind words have helped immensly. Thank you friends and family.


Comments