Sibling Assignment #189: Lights, Instruments Tuned, "Brigadoon"


Carol assigned this sibling assignment for us this month:
“Share a memory from one of your times performing on stage at Kellogg High School.”
You will find brother Bill's here and sister Carol's here.

I learned when I was a sophomore in high school that I really enjoyed performing on the stage.
Because it was forty-seven years ago that I first appeared on the stage at Kellogg High School,
my memories are a bit sketchy. I played the oldest daughter in the play “The Remarkable Mr.
Pennypacker” as a debut on the KHS stage. I continued playing different roles through high
school in a variety of plays. I loved being in plays. I don’t even remember now if I got that nervous
being on the stage.


When I was a junior it was announced we were going to do a musical.
A musical at Kellogg High School? Wow! It was exciting thinking about combining the choirs,
band, and actors all in one big production. The musical chosen was “Brigadoon”.
This was not one of the productions I was familiar with from our album collection at home, but once
I heard the music I really loved. It didn’t have an acting part. What I remember is standing behind
the curtain singing the song”Brigadoon” in the choir, but later I think I was down in the
“orchestra” band pit. Even though I didn't have a big starring role, I loved being part of the ensemble.


We did the production at the Kellogg Junior High gym/stage and I think by the time we were
ready to practice with everyone together, we all did it on a Sunday. There were also
headaches with conflicts with sports, speech competitions, and who knows what else,
but we prevailed! I think there was some big issue with my brother having to be gone,
but he will have to share that.
Brigadoon was a musical that took place in a magical place called Brigadoon in Scotland.
The music, the bagpipes, the costumes, and the scenery all seemed perfect to me.
I don’t even remember how the musical was received and if we had “sell out crowds”.

We did it! Kellogg High School performed their first musical.
There were more to follow after the success of “Brigadoon”.  
Again, I loved the join effect of so many students and staff.
It seemed like half the students were performing in some way, but it was probably maybe a fourth.
Enjoy the overture below.

Comments