The Shed Notebook: Saying Good-Bye Over and Over

I recently had a birthday and turned sixty-three years old. I don’t dwell much on the age I am as much as I dwell on what aches and pains may continue, blood tests that may show my systems are falling apart, or not having the energy to stay up to read my new favorite book.
What I didn’t expect or even think about as I moved into my early sixties was how many people would die. I understand nobody lives forever, but suddenly I experienced the death of my mother and another close friend shortly after. I have been sending cards, praying, and sharing words of comfort with so many people in my age group who have also lost loved ones recently.
This is what we do at this age. We hold on to memories, wipe away the tears, and say good-bye over and over. Each person I am thinking of lived a full life. We celebrate what a beautiful life the person lived, but then I start noticing a hole. A hole that can’t be filled. A hole filled with memories, but also grief and sadness.
This quote helped me today: “I am always saddened by the death of a good person. It is from this sadness that a feeling of gratitude emerges. I feel honored to have known them and blessed that their passing serves as a reminder to me that my time on this beautiful earth is limited and that I should seize the opportunity I have to forgive, share, explore, and love. I can think of no greater way to honor the deceased than to live this way.” Steve Maraboli

Comments