Woman Who Loves Gardening

 



Another of my original poems to bring National Poetry Month to a close.


 


Woman Who Loves Gardening


I have dirty nails


and rarely paint them, living out


my long growing season in the flower garden, trellises


giving view to clematis, climbing Peace


where aromatic flowers


grow in profusion.


I pull the weeds


in the early morning


gritting my teeth


wiping sweat from my brow


and listening


to footsteps of my husband


coming in range to help.


Sun makes my face red;


each sniff with my nose


leaves lily pollen behind.


When I rest it’s the beauty


that causes anxiety to shake loose


from a woman in need


of a quiet place to retreat.


 


Christy Woolum


This poem was inspired by Women Who Love Angels by Judith Ortiz Cofer


Comments