She Walks In Beauty

Caroline Kennedy is a champion in promoting poetry in the United States. She has created numerous anthologies of poetry that have honored her own memories, remembered her mother's love for poetry, and helped us celebrate holidays we hold dear to our hearts. Her most recent anthology "She Walks In Beauty" is an amazing collection of poems selected by Caroline to honor a woman's journey. There are so many poems I love in this volume I may have to post a few. When I read this anthology I was touched by how many poems that have moved me in some way were ones she chose to use also.  Tonight I want to share "You Begin".  It reminds me of how much we hold in our hands are we live life. Enjoy.


 


You Begin


by Margaret Atwood









You begin this way:
this is your hand,
this is your eye,
that is a fish, blue and flat
on the paper, almost
the shape of an eye.
This is your mouth, this is an O
or a moon, whichever
you like. This is yellow.

Outside the window
is the rain, green
because it is summer, and beyond that
the trees and then the world,
which is round and has only
the colors of these nine crayons.

This is the world, which is fuller
and more difficult to learn than I have said.
You are right to smudge it that way
with the red and then
the orange: the world burns.

Once you have learned these words
you will learn that there are more
words than you can ever learn.
The word hand floats above your hand
like a small cloud over a lake.
The word hand anchors
your hand to this table,
your hand is a warm stone
I hold between two words.

This is your hand, these are my hands, this is the world,
which is round but not flat and has more colors
than we can see.

It begins, it has an end,
this is what you will
come back to, this is your hand.


 


Comments