A Poem of Belief: Remembering the Holocaust

 



 Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. During the study of the Holocaust with my students I have been reminded over and over that we must not forget. I first heard this poem put to music, but it touches me more standing alone with words only:


A Poem of Belief


It was written on the wall of a cellar by a Jewish Prisoner in the Cologne concentration camp during World War II.



“I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love,
even when there’s no one there.
And I believe in God,
even when he is silent.


I believe through any trial,
there is always a way
But sometimes in this suffering
and hopeless despair
My heart cries for shelter,
to know someone’s there
But a voice rises within me, saying hold on
my child, I’ll give you strength,
I’ll give you hope. Just stay a little while.


I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love
even when there’s no one there
But I believe in God
even when he is silent
I believe through any trial
there is always a way.


May there someday be sunshine
May there someday be happiness
May there someday be love
May there someday be peace….”


- Uknown






Comments