National Poetry Month, Poem #9


Perfume and Orange Juice

I sip my orange juice and smile.
I’m still in love with you,
Have been since the second grade,
When we were licorice and crayon smells,
You were mints with a hint of perfume,
You hugged me; I worshipped you.

You had us write poetry. I was smitten.
I wrote:

“Miss Kaprowski you are neat.
I like everything about you,
Even your feet.”

Remember when Paul Cloverhouse and I
Secretly followed you home?
You stopped outside the drugstore,
Called your two, young Hardy Boys over,
Invited us inside for ice cream sodas.
Wrapped in perfume, you drank orange juice,
In ecstasy I promised you I’d be a poet.

Now I drink my sweet orange juice, smile,
And hope that my words can bring back the perfume.
-Richard F. Abrahamson
I think many children have a Miss Kaprowski to remember. I loved the line about the two, young Hardy Boys.

Comments

  1. What an absolutely delightful poem. I must remember this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! Please check my blog. I have nominated you for the Thinking Blog Award.

    LaTeaDah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!