Christmas Cookie Exchange and a Keeper from the Recipe Box

I first posted this December 8th, 2007 on this blog. It is about memories of a cookie exchange. I will make these yummy cookies again this year.


Christmas Cookie Exchange
Years ago when I was teaching at Cascade Elementary in Kennewick our librarian organized a Christmas cookie exchange. The idea was greeted with enthusiasm, particularly since our staff was mostly women.  This was how it worked. Each participant chose a favorite cookie recipe, then brought an assigned amount to the exchange. Each staff member then collected a mixture of new cookies to take home. The first year we did the exchange our kindergarten teacher Joy brought these incredible cookies. It was hard to tell the exact ingredients. They were soft and buttery with hints of other flavors. I had to have that recipe. To this day I don’t know the real name for this cookie recipe. After baking them for more than twenty years I still call them Joy’s Cookies. My mom has since added the recipe to her Christmas repertoire. She refers to them as “Those Sesame Seed Cookies.”

I still have the 4x6 note card that Joy, using her perfect kindergarten teacher printing, carefully wrote out for me. At the top of the card it says “Here are those yummy cookies- Joy”.  My gift to you- those yummy cookies!
Joy’s Cookies
2 cups softened butter
1 ½ cups sugar
3 cups flour
½ cup finely sliced almonds
1 cup sesame seeds

Cream the butter and sugar. Add flour until mixed. Add sesame seeds and almonds. Divide dough into thirds. Roll and wrap in waxed paper. Chill. Cut into slices and bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen.
Tips: Buy the sesame seeds in bulk or the cookies will cost you a fortune.
          Splurge on the almonds already sliced. If there is a way to slice them by hand, it escapes me.                                                   
          Watch the time. They burn easily depending on how thin you slice them.       
       
 I can’t say how many the recipe actually makes because Everett usually samples the first warm cookies from the oven and somebody usually samples the dough. If some burn, dogs do love them as a treat. These are perfect any time of year. For some reason I always make them at Christmas.

Comments

  1. Anonymous19.12.12

    I've been looking for this recipe for ages! it was originally in Woman's Day magazine, in one of those tear-out recipe books they had around Christmas. I lost my copy so long ago! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!