Ten Things Saving My Life Right Now


Each year this week Anne Bogel on her blog Modern Mrs. Darcy invites readers to share ten things that have helped them make it through winter. She calls it " Ten Things Saving My Life Right Now." It is halfway through the winter season. The days are moving a bit slower and visions of spring days are dancing in our heads . She also invites her readers to share their lists which allows us to create a community to support each other through the rest of winter with an interesting variety of lists. 

Here is my list:

A crackling fire in my fireplace.: When it is icy, cold, or foggy outside there is nothing like a fire to warm the house and warm my heart.

Wordle: Having a puzzle to look forward to every day that challenges my mind is perfect.

Hot beverages: When the weather is below zero there is nothing better than hot coffee or hot chocolate. I have always loved coffee in the morning, but this winter hot chocolate has been another comfort beverage. I was gifted a variety of  hot chocolate mixes for Christmas so when I need a lift in the afternoon after shoveling snow in the backyard, hot chocolate with cinnamon toast hits the spot.

Homemade soup: Warm soup is such a comfort food in winter. I enjoy making a big pot of chili, vegetable soup, or chicken noodle soup and freezing leftovers for later meals.


Amaryllis:  There is no better way to brighten your house in winter than with amaryllis plants. I try to start them early enough in the fall so they are blooming in January. This year my blooms have been bigger, the colors have been more vivid, and each bulb has produced at least two complete flowers. They are beauty from a bulb.

Seed and plant catalogs:  When I go to check my mail and realize the temperature is frigid I just want to run back inside and wrap up in a blanket. Then I reach inside the mailbox and pull out seed catalogs. Ahhh.... a sign that spring is around the corner. Just the pictures on the covers are enough to cheer up my day.

Sunsets:  Winter sunsets are stunning. The varied colors are blended together into a sky of beauty. I follow sunsets with my camera when Riley and I take our afternoon runs. 

Connecting with friends and family: Phone calls, texts, messages, letters, cards, and in person visits make any winter day warmer. I love hearing from the special people in my life and there is nothing better than grabbing a cup of coffee and a lap blanket and having a long visit with a friend or family member.

Riley: My dog Riley makes every day of winter better. He entertains me with his morning routine waiting for the mail lady and the UPS driver. He clowns around with his toys and makes me laugh. He  gives me a reason to go out and get fresh air and exercise during our daily trip to a favorite outdoor spot. He also is a perfect snuggler when we come in and need to warm up.  

Surrounding myself with books, books, and more books: This winter I have spent more time reading books to broaden my knowledge of writing, creativity, and gardening. I have also enjoyed book club selections, books on my pile I have waited until winter to read, and cookbooks.

What things help you get through winter? 

I want to give a shout out to Anne Bogel, known on her website as Modern Mrs. Darcy. The link to the post I referred to in the opening is above. Here is the link to her blog: https://modernmrsdarcy.com 

Her website contains a list of the books she has written, information on her podcasts, and her blog. She shares book titles all the time, runs a book club, and posts informative and entertaining writing almost every day. Every year she does a summer reading list, and gives links to ebook deals!  Check her out.








Comments

  1. Great list! I might do something similar on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband, 17 year-old-daughter and I all play Wordle every morning and then share our results with each other. It has been wildly fun and if you know my husband...I never would have guessed he would love it. I had an amaryllis one winter and I loved watching it bloom. I need to put that on my Christmas list for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!