Thankful, Grateful, Blessed #2: Grateful for Four Seasons

Throughout the whole year I pause and take time to be thankful, grateful, and blessed. November is a perfect month to share things that surround me that make me thankful, grateful, and blessed.  Here is #2.

Today I am grateful for living in a place that I can enjoy four seasons. I have always been an autumn girl, but now that I am retired and can be home to enjoy the changing of the seasons, I love parts of each and every season. 

Growing up in Kellogg spring was late in coming and very short. There was a long period after winter of gray, foggy days partly due to the smelter smoke. When spring came and the lilacs bloomed it was wonderful, but it came late. 

I have learned to love summer much more in recent years. I enjoy watching the gardens come to life with blooms and a bounty of vegetables. I also enjoy the longer days, the slower pace, and garden tours with my camera.  A highlight now is birthday gatherings and family dinners outside in the yard.

Autumn has always been my favorite season. I remember that smell of Dad burning leaves in the street after he raked the leaves. Even with the smelter smoke, the trees burst into vivid colors of red, orange, and yellow when October came around. Autumn also evokes memories of comfort food on Sunday and birthday celebrations,  Today autumn represents the slowing down time of the year. It the time for dinners in the slow cooker, putting the gardens to bed for winter, warm,cozy sweaters, and coffee in the morning by the fire. Also, there is Thanksgiving, a holiday I truly love.

What I loved about winter as a child was building snowmen, sleighriding on Chestnut Hill, hot chocolate when we returned home, and Christmas. What I didn't like were slick roads that made Mom nervous and getting wet on the playground and trying to warm up back in the class. Now I love winter almost as much as autumn. Why? I don't have to go anywhere unless I want to. It is a photographer's dream when the snow falls and it is frosty and cold. It is hibernation time. Life slows down even more. More books get read, more craft projects get done, and the holidays bring friends and family together. 

Here are some favorite photos of the four seasons where I live: 
Cataldo Mission in autumn
Winter sunset at 514

bird in the spring
summer up the river









Comments