The Shed Notebook: National Poetry Month: Vintage Judith Viorst


Judith Viorst's poetry has resonated with me since I first read "If I Were In Charge of the World and other worries" which came out my fourth year of teaching. I also loved reading and teaching with her children's books. As I got older I began reading her light verse volumes on aging which she has written for each decade of her life.  I loved how she could identify the ups and downs, and cheers and jeers of each decade.
I read an article about her today and was dumbfounded to realize she is 88 years old. How did that happen? She said she has never been happier and said  "I'm only a girl of 88." I want to be just like her at 88. I revisted her "Suddenly Sixty" anthology today and had to share this favorite. I can sure relate.

When Asked If I Thought That I'd Finally Got It Together

I had it together on Sunday,
By Monday at noon it had cracked.
On Tuesday debris
Was descending on me,
And by Wednesday no part was intact.
On Thursday I picked up some pieces,
On Friday I picked up the rest.
By Saturday ,late,
It was almost set straight.
And on Sunday the world was impressed
With how well I had got it together.
But spare me the cheers and applause,
For as the world turns
Every sixty-plus learns
That among life's immutable laws
Is one that we're bound to be bound to
Right through to the end of our days:
That although we may get it together,
Together is not how it stays.
-Judith Viorst
from "Suddenly Sixty, and Other Shocks of Later Life

Comments

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!