Sibling Assignment #205: My Spiritual Home In Nature

Lake Roosevelt close to home.
Brother Bill gave Sibling Assignment #205:"Write an essay explaining where you find your spiritual home and why." You will find Bill's here and Carol's here.

spiritual: of or relating to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature

spiritual home: A place in which one feels a strong sense of belonging.
lilypads, Heyburn State Park
Today I chose to write about my spiritual home as defined above. My spirituality related to my religious beliefs is private. I know what my beliefs are, but I have a hard time explaining them to others.

My spiritual home is outdoors away from town. I started camping when I first met JEJ and quickly found that being in the woods, standing by a lake, gazing at the stars, or sitting by a campfire was my spiritual home. I could always release the stresses of week and find a calm place in the outdoors.  I didn't care if it was raining, hot, or freezing cold. Any weather, any location worked just fine for me. I just dressed for the weather.
French Rock, Lake Roosevelt
When we lived in northeastern Washington we were surrounded by a large scenic lake, numerous campgrounds, calming creeks, and roaring rivers. We didn't have to drive far to be away from people and responsibities. I always made sure I packed great food, great beverages, great books, a journal, and a camera.

I felt a sense of belonging in my spiritual home in nature even more when I began using a camera earnestly. It caused me to pause and take in more of my surroundings. It gave me images to keep as a remembrance of a specific campground, hiking trail, or lake. Time stood still for me. The only schedule I had was getting home before I had to return to work.
Our favorite spiritual home, Canyon Creek Campground
Finding my soul in nature didn't happen right away.  At first I was always on a mission to find a certain trail, locate the perfect camp site, or gather firewood.  As I spent more time in nature I unwound easier, slowed myself down, and read, wrote, and reflected more often. It was good for my soul. It was what I needed.

Now that I am retired and we relocated, we left camping behind. I miss it, but in northern Idaho we again are close to lakes, streams, rivers, and mountains. Now we can find a place to appreciate nature, but not stay overnight.  I still carry the camera and continue to find perfect subjects for pictures.  The best part is that I found God in those times in nature. I always feel closer to him in my spiritual home.
Enjoy some images I have captured in my spiritual homes in nature.
Kettle Falls Campgroumd

“We need to find God and God cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature—trees and flowers and grass—grow in silence. See the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence. The more we receive in silent prayer, the more we can give in our active life.” - Mother Teresa of Calcutta


Barnaby Island in winter, Lake Roosevelt










Comments