Sibling Assignment #197: KHS Homecoming: GAA, Driving Teachers' Cars, and Going to the Bar

Bill gave this assignment. "When we were in high school, we had Homecoming every fall. Write about
something you recall about one of your three high school homecomings whether it’s a football game,
a dance, a pep rally/bonfire, or anything else." You can find sister Carol's post is here and brother Bill's post
is here.

Girls only had one sport when I was in high school in the early seventies. We just had track. To give us atheletic experiences, we had GAA ( Girl's Athletic Association). We met at the football field or the gym on Thursday nights and played flag football, basketball, and other competitive games. Another activity GAA participated in was running the concession stand at football and basketball games. The money earned provided money for some fun field trips and other things. Mrs. H was our advisor and I was president of the organization my senior year.

Back in the day we were allowed to do many things that would make a school board and principal shutter today. First, we were given permission to drive teachers' cars and do it during the school day. They gave out "town passes". If Kenton needed to get the school newspaper up to the Kellogg Evening News to get printed, he drove Mrs. Faraca's car. If Mrs. H. left something at home, she let a girl that was her TA drive and get it.

As president of GAA one of my big duties during football season was to help set up the concession stand before games. I don't know why, but we got ice from the bowling alley up the hill from Teeter's Field. I took Mrs. H's car which had coolers inside and drove up to the bowling alley. I got the ice in the bar, so there was Mrs. Callahan or Bill Kramer waiting to fill my coolers with ice. Then off I went to drive her car inside the football field to the concession stand. The concession stand was a big money maker and I think we only sold fountain pop, popcorn, and candy.

I still played in the pep band, marched on the field during halftime, wished I was a cheerleader, yearned to be Homecoming Queen, yelled my head off as part of Pep Club, and maybe even watched the game. When the game ended I played "Alma Mater" with the Pep Band while everyone around me swayed side to side singing the verses loudly. Back then lots of alumni did return home also, so it was fun to look around and see former cheerleaders, football players, and drill team members that I idolized in my youth.

I must have had much more energy back then, because next I helped clean up the consession stand and loaded up the empty coolers for another game and headed to the Northwest Medals for a dance.
I don't know what was worse back in the fall of '72: driving a teacher's car or going to the bar to get ice. We were trusted back then. We all survived. All the teachers' cars survived. It was just different back in the day.


Comments