Sibling Assignment #188: The Birth of MTV


I gave the third sibling assignment for February:
"Building playlists have become a part of our lives now because of the new ways we listen to music. If you could build a perfect playlist of ten songs, what would be the theme and what would on that list?  Explain the theme and why you chose those songs, or some of the songs. Sister Carol's is here and brother Bill's is here.

The summer of 1981 MTV was launched. I don't have a vivid memory of watching it right then. Maybe our cable company didn't get it in West Richland, Washington. I do remember when we moved to Kennewick in 1982 I began watching it. Twenty-four hours a day the station played music vidoes. The VJs were such a big part of MTV, especially Mark Goodman, Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, and Alan Hunter. Also, in 1984 MTV started Top 20 Video Countdown that was shown on week-ends. I loved finding time on Saturday to watch it..

The playlist I created is memorable songs that were launched on MTV during the eighties. The videos themselves really sold each song. I remember buying the cassettes often after I viewed the video. Of course, my list could be twice as long. If you want to reminisce and watch any of these videos, search them on MTV. You can also find the first Top Twenty Video Countdown here.

"Easy Woman"  Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey
"You Can Call Me Al " Paul Simon ( assisted by Chevy Chase)
"Walk This Way " RUN D.M.C. and Aerosmith
"Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" Wham
"How Will I Know" Whitney Houston
"Built This City on Rock and Roll" Starship
"Billie Jean" Michael Jackson
"Power of Love" Huey Lewis and the News
"The Way It Is" Bruce Hornsby and the Range
" We Are the World" various artists


Here is the video that launched MTV. What music videos do you remember from that time period?

Comments