Sibling Assignment #187: Sunnyside School Chili Feed


Bill also gave one of our sibling assignments for the month of February:

" Last night’s crab feed got me thinking about the different feeds held in Kellogg when we were youngsters. The first one that popped to mind was the Sunnyside Chili Feed and I’m trying to remember what kind of feed the PTA held in the downstairs lunch room at Silver King. Was it oyster soup/stew? I know we used to have an oyster soup/stew feed at the United Church. Write what you remember about any feeds or a particular feed that occurred in Kellogg."

When I began attending Sunnyside School is second grade I began hearing about The Chili Feed after Christmas vacation. I had never heard of a chili feed. ( If memory serves me right, I think Silver King School started theirs a few years later. ) The Chili Feed was a huge fundraiser  put on by the PTA. I think it was held in February because I remember after finding a parking place a block away, we had to walk through snow. When I attended my first one, these memories are clear in my mind. There was always a line that went down the hall and up the steps to the foyer by the principal's office. When you got closer to the serving line, you walked by the pie room. It was a small room close to the lunchroom  full of slices of homemade pies that all the moms donated. I can remember staring at all the different kinds of pie, wondering which kind I would choose. 

We went through the line just like during the week at hot lunch. The cooks were there serving the chili, this fresh, crisp salad, and the next part is fuzzy. I can't remember if they served cinnamon rolls like they did with chili during lunch or if it was crackers. The lunchroom was packed, families were squeezed into the tables enjoying their chili dinner. Then came the time when we got to choose our piece of pie. I always wanted cream pies then because we didn't have them at home as much. For some reason Dad didn't like going to the Chili Feed, so maybe Mom got food to go for him. 

The other best part of the Chili Feed was the poster contest held when you were a sixth grader. Each student made a poster that were hung around town to advertise the event. I planned and designed that for weeks. I really wanted to win. I made beans that were like people and filled in their bodies with coffee grounds to add more texture. Part of me thinks I may have won a prize, but I can't say for sure. All I know that between looking forward to the feed, waiting for the sixth grade year when I got to enter the poster contest. 

Every time I prepare chili and cinnamon rolls, my mind goes back to those feeds so many years ago. Great memories.



Comments