Sibling Assignment # 186 : Sunday Dinner at 516



Carol gave one of our sibling assignments for the month of February.
“Since we have started doing family dinners, has this created memories of family dinners growing up a 516 West Cameron?  Think of a particular dinner, or kinds of dinners you ate while growing up and share some memories from these family dinners.”  You can find Carol's here and Bill's here.

Mom taught school during the years of my childhood. She was still able to get dinner on the table every night. Every once in a while we got burgers from the S and R or French Dips at the Sunshine Inn.

Sunday was a different story. Most Sundays when Mom had more time, she prepared memorable Sunday dinners. I always loved the Sundays she made homemade bread and rolls. We had the rolls with dinner, the had the bread for toast and sandwiches during the week. On a special Sunday we got cinnamon rolls.  Mom told me once kneading bread on Sunday relaxed her.

The dinners I remember most are navy beans and ham, chili and cinnamon rolls, roast beef dinner with all the trimmings, homemade vegetable soup, and pork roast dinner with all the trimmings. We had traditional comfort food on those Sundays. No “weird shit” food for my dad. It wasn’t a good time for us to ask Mom if we could experiment with a new recipe (that Dad usually didn’t like).

What I remember is how Sunday was a slower pace day, a calmer day at 516. Mom had time to prepare soups and roasts and not be rushed. That was why I liked all those meals . They were filling, filled with flavor, and there always seemed to be more quantity.

I can’t really pick a favorite dish. I did learn from my Mom that cinnamon rolls go well with chili. Vegetables cooked with roast beef are the best way to eat them, especially when there is gravy for the potatoes.  Applesauce always goes with pork roast . I also loved the leftovers. I could always count on another meal made with those roasts or a heated up soup later in the week.

Along with being a calmer day, it was a day my dad was always happy. These meals just lit up his face and he often ate seconds. No peanut butter on white bread after dinner on Sundays. ( He pulled that out on weeknights when Mom made something he didn’t really like.) The picture above is before a dinner in later years, but the table is in the same place and holds the same love for family.



Comments