The Things We Leave Behind: Farewell Tour of Martin Creek.

I knew the time would come when I would say my last goodbyes to the home I have lived in for nineteen years. My home at Martin Creek was like a  gardening classroom. I learned from trial and error everything I know about working with the soil. I learned what to grow and what to get rid of. What to do, what not to do. I will use that wisdom as we plan our next gardens. A lesson to remember-always throw your fruit pits and seeds in the yard. We raised peach, cherry, plum, and apple trees from seeds.

Someone asked me recently what I would miss the most at Martin Creek. At first I thought the view and then I realized it will be the gazebo. We spent so many wonderful hours talking, dreaming, warming by the fire, and appreciating the beauty around us in that gazebo. I loved what JEJ created.

I hope to once again grow Oakleaf Hydrangeas. They were beautiful blooming shrubs that took on color and provided colorful foliage all through the year. The blooms were always a surprise, and when they dried, you never knew the color the may become.

If you are ever looking for a hardy vine, purchase a silver lace vine. We will certainly get another one at this house. The are green and hardy, and the white flowers add to the display through at least two seasons of the year.

 Autumn Joy Sedum are the hardiest flower you can grow that looks beautiful in September. They require little water and little care. Perfect for the sandy soil I just left. I will miss them, but did bring a few to start again in my new garden.


I will miss the maple trees.  Every season of the year they provide beauty, but autumn is when they really show their stuff.
There is nothing like apple trees to fill in a orchard. I was so tempted to pick the little apples that were on the branches, but decided to leave them for the next owners.

The experiences, the photos, the family memories, and the various images I have stuffed in my head will help me remember this place fondly. It was a learning place in so many ways. I hope to take that learning and use it for our next garden projects and life itself. I'm so glad we had this time together.

Comments

  1. Beautiful. The writing and the pictures. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit your Martin Creek "estate" and enjoy the splendor in real life. It would be hard to pick one thing and name it as the "best".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will make a new "Martin Creek" world to enjoy in Kellogg...as Martin Creek is an attitude or set of rules you've fashioned out of your approach to life

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will make a new "Martin Creek" world to enjoy in Kellogg...as Martin Creek is an attitude or set of rules you've fashioned out of your approach to life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!