Sibling Assignment #160: A Still Mind

We are back doing our sibling assignments after a hectic time with each of our lives. Brother Bill gave the assignment:

Do you have anything in your life that you've not been doing that you used to a lot more of?  In other words, have you let something important in your life slip away -- maybe not completely, but more than you'd like in a perfect world.

Write about it -- why it matters to you, how you miss it, and how you think you'll go about getting back to it. You will find my sister's here and my brother's is here.here

Right now my life is very hectic. As a family we are striving to provide support and care for our mother after she had an accident. As a teacher my brain is on overload trying to navigate the procedures and processes for administering a large amount of tests to my students. I am also trying to walk the fine line of pushing more information into my students' minds and just letting them relax and do their best to show 
what they know on the new federal tests. 
We have been working tirelessly to get our home ready to sell. We have had lots of help, but the decluttering and downsizing just needs to be done personally. There have been "discussions" about what to keep, what to give away, and what to sell. There have been numerous trips to the dump,hardware stores, charity places to donate, 
and places that have moving boxes.
I have been educating myself on the world of real estate. I have studied selling houses, buying houses, and all that it involves. I have searched for houses, visited houses, and drove by houses. When we made the decision to move back to my hometown, we knew there would be houses available. 
It was just finding a special one.
What have I not been doing? Letting my mind be still. It was obvious to me this week-end when all kinds of information, communication, and decisions came at me in a short period of time. I needed my mind to be still. My mom has been going to bed very early while healing from her accident. Last night after she was tucked into bed, I forced my mind to be still. I started writing, making lists, thinking, praying, and writing some more. I knew it was what I needed to do.
I also know I need to continue to find time to keep my mind still as we transition into a new chapter in our lives. Sitting in my childhood living room, looking out the window at the house that will soon be mine, finding comfort with the lawn lights and streetlights kept my mind still.
Now I just need to keep it up.

Comments