Teaching From Home: Five Tips for Capturing Memorable Photos

I am not in front of students now every day, but I am still constantly teaching and learning. Blog and social network friends often ask me questions about photography, gardening, books I am reading, or linking to a  recipe I've used. This hatched an idea of sharing some tips and learning I have picked up along the way with my varied hobbies and passions. The posts will be entitled  "Teaching From Home." My hope is that throughout the summer you can learn something, or a post may inspire a return to a passion or a desire to something new.
For those of you that have been following this blog, it is obvious I love photography. Digital cameras opened a whole new way of seeing the world. As I place photos into online photo albums, it also provides a timeline of moments, events, and places I have experienced.
Today I will share Five Tips for Capturing Memorable Photos

 1. Always, always, always carry a camera. Whether it is my digital camera, tablet, or phone I always have a way to capture images. Also, I don't have expensive equipment, but  I do  keep all my equipment together and ready to grab or go. When Gracie and I encounter a doe in the driveway, I was pleased I had my phone. The photo at the top was taken while shopping at my favorite nursery. Again, so pleased I had my phone.


2. Keep Your Eyes Open. I am always looking to capture simple examples of beauty. Actually, I have trained my husband well. I had my back to the clothesline when the sun came out after a rain shower. He pointed it out. I love the image.



3, Capture People In Unique Ways. We are experiencing the era of selfies.  I like faceless photos. I started these images to provide privacy for my students. I explored more about this technique from Chris Orwig. My brother has mastered the faceless photo concept with black and white photos he captures on photo walks. The picture above if of two sisters from my class on a walk. I was so pleased I was behind them with my camera.

4. Wait Until Evening. If it isn't a "have to capture this moment" photo, the light of evening works well for me, especially with gardening pictures. Not as many shadows and weird colors to deal with. The bridal wreath spirea in the garden.

5. Frame the Picture: I work on this all the time. I examine what is around the image I am trying to capture. What kind of background will it create? I still have to crop, but it is important for me to frame a photo just right. My front porch works well for bouquets of flowers.

I highly recommend the book Visual Poetry by Chris Orwig. His motto is "savor every second". That he does. You can find his book here.
Is there another topic you would like me to share what I have learned along the way? Leave me a comment.

Comments

  1. You MUST share some of your knowledge of gardening!! I'm very curious to know what kind of soil I have, what's an easy way to find out, and what plants will do well in it. Not asking too much, am I? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should bring this up Dawn... I almost wrote about soil this evening. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!