April is National Poetry Month: Great Poems by American Women

A favorite anthology I chose today is Great Poems by American Women edited by Susan L. Rattiner. One thing I love about this anthology is how it spans the time from the colonial-era to now so the reader gets a history of subjects and themes from American women poets.

Today I am going to share the following:

God's World
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

O world, I cannot hold thee close enough!
   Thy winds, thy wide grey skies!
   Thy mists, that roll and rise!
Thy woods, this autumn day, that ache and sag
And all but cry with colour! That gaunt crag
To cruch! To lift the lean of that black bluff!
World, world, I cannot get the close enough!
Long have I known a glory in it an,
   But never knew I this;

  Here such a passion is
As stretcheth me apart,-Lord, I do fear
Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year;
My soul is all but out of me,-let fall
No burning leaf; prithee, let no bird call.

Comments

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!