Tied to Music Memories: We Are the World 25 for Haiti

Where did the years go? I couldn't believe it when I read last week-end that the release of the original "We Are the World" video was twenty-five years ago. I remember back in the day gathering a group of talented fifth grade students and putting our own version of this song together for a music program. I have always loved the original  video and the song also. When the new version premiered at the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics I was eager to see how many of the original performers would be brought  back and what new faces would be added. I am here to declare... I have reached middle age. I didn't recognize many of the performers the first time I watched the video. However I was thrilled that I recognized  Jeff Bridges, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, and Natalie Cole.

Even without Paul Simon, Kenny Rogers, Tina and Cindi singing solos I really liked listening to Josh Groban, Celine Dion, and Carlos Santana on the guitar. It was bittersweet to see  Micheal Jackson from the first video singing a duet with  his sister in this video. I avoided pictures of Haiti after the earthquake, but the pictures that were woven into this video gave me hope. It was moving to see children dancing, mothers smiling, and people working together.  Perhaps there were not as many rock singers in this version, but I have to say I liked the group of rappers and they added a new dimension to this video.

Now if you have no idea what I am talking about I posted the video. If you want to feel nostalgic, I also posted the original video. I've got this song playing over and over in my head again.





Comments