Sibling Assignment #122: Tuesdays With Morrie

This is our last sibling assignment of the month given by Silver Valley Girl using the theme "tied." 
 "Write about reading a book, and how you were tied to that book by a certain character, a certain plot line, etc."

"It's not to late to change... ask yourself if you really are the person you want to be, and if not, who you do want to be.  "   - Morrie Schwartz

This is one of many quotes I treasure spoken by Morris Schwartz in the book Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. In this book I was tied to the character of Morrie.  Mitch had been a student of Morrie's in college, but they lost touch. He got a second chance as Morrie was dying to learn more lessons from his teacher.  It was Morrie's idea to put the conversations into a book. "The final thesis" he called it.

"The best way to deal with that is to live in a fully conscious, compassionate, loving way. Don't wait until you're on your deathbed to recognize that this is the only way to live."- Morrie Schwartz 
After reading and rereading this book this is one quote I work hard at trying to act on. It is difficult when stuff in life gets in the way of being fully conscious, compassionate, and loving. Revisiting this book was a good reminder for me today. 

"Weren't you ever afraid of growing old" , Mitch asked.
" Mitch, I embrace it!"
Morrie went on to explain that as you grow old you do learn more. It is not decay, but growth. It is more than the negative that you're going to die. It's also the positive that you understand you're going to die. This helps you live a better life. He made me realize how important it is for a person to look back and see a life well-lived, a life with meaning, a life full of satisfaction. It gives me  goals to work on!

Many more lessons fill this small volume. I love the part when he picked out what he wanted on his tombstone. He chose:
A Teacher to the Last. 

He kept teaching and learning up to his last breath and his influence has remained with us.

Comments

  1. I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!