Godspell: "Two Thumbs Up! Way Up!"

My sister Silver Valley Girl in a scene from Godspell

My sister and her husband were part of the ensemble cast that presented Godspell last week-end at the Sixth Street Theater in Wallace, Idaho. Awhile back I wrote a Sibling Assignment about Godspell which was a bit vague because all I could remember about the musical were a few of the memorable songs like "Day by Day" and "Prepare Ye The Way of the Lord." Scott Hall playing Jesus


Godspell is no longer vague in my mind. This production was full of energy, passion, humor and spirituality. The cast had voices that blended well together and whether a cast member sang a solo, duet, or everyone joined in, the vocal range and harmony was exceptional. a happy scene with Silver Valley Girl and Jesus

The dance numbers were an added plus as the cast showed us their versatility as they moved energetically to rock dances, slowed it down for the soft shoe, then kicked in unison in a chorus line. It was hard for this photographer to get clear pictures with all the movement!
my brother-in-law Paul

The structure of the musical is that of a series of parables, taken primarily from the Gospel of Matthew. Jesus, played by Scott Hall, drew in the audience throughout with the lessons of life from the gospel. In one story he reminded us to "love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." A pleasant surprise during the performance of " All Good Gifts" was a beautiful recorder solo by my sister.
Jesus preparing for The Last Supper

From the opening number "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" through the final scene after the Last Supper the songs were woven into the parables Jesus retaught many of us.
There is one last week-end of shows left and not many seats. If you want information on tickets go here. Congratulations to the cast and crew of this outstanding production. JEJ, my mother,my nieces and I enjoyed front row seats and all agreed "Two Thumbs Up! Way Up!"



Comments

  1. Thanks for the great review. We're so glad you were able to be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures you took are beautiful. I was supposed to be attending this weekend, but as is often the case... life got in the way. It sounds like it has been a great success. I'm glad you got to go and even happier that you shared the experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job of describing this event and the pictures are wonderful. I was drawn to the joy in the faces of the cast --- and their wonderful costumes! Oh, the memories. My dad was in grad school in California during my early elementary years. Your post took me right back to those days.

    :) LaTeaDah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!